Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"Ode to...Kiki"


The butterflies in my stomach were in full soar in the anticipation that I was about to walk into something forbidden.  My inhibitions were getting the best of me and my husband was not at all aware of what we were about to embark upon.  As we walked into the elegant, dimly lit boutique, a feeling of warmth came over me.  My nerves had been misinformed.  I could hear an entrancing french song playing throughout as I glanced around to see consummate beauty.  The fabrics, the art, the ambiance, was all so refined.  What I suspected could be taboo, was in fact filled with love and delicacy.  

Standing at the entrance, I allowed myself admission to partake in the intoxicating experience that awaits.  I looked to the back of the shop to find a larger-than-life four poster bed with fetching trims and fittings.  I was immediately intrigued.  I looked to my husband to find he was much more comfortable than I anticipated.  We began browsing, or should I say, we began our adventure.

Montparnasse: An area of Paris immersed with cafes, bars, dance halls and cabarets occupied by artists and entertainers alike.  Alice Ernestine Prin, also known as Kiki de Montparnasse, was the artist’s model.  Kiki became a fixture of the area's social scene.  Her singing and dancing, wearing only a garter belt, was oddly inoffensive.  It has been said that her positive attitude and wondrous sense of humor would leave people feeling content.  Many even felt a need to care for her.  Kiki had been quoted saying, “All I need is an onion, a bit of bread, and a bottle of red wine; and I will always find someone to offer me that.”  That she did.  She had an audacity and a creative sexuality about her that many women strive for today.  I believe she achieved valor with boundless strength; note the irony.

On our voyage through the showroom to bestow answers to our curiosities, we found ourselves frequently detoured by all things enticing.  The art alone was for lack of better word, beautiful.  The delicate lace and fine silk in my surroundings...beautiful.  The accessories that can be shared with someone you love; I blush when I dare say...beautiful.

The lovely sales associate, Ashly, invited us to browse and enjoy.  My eyes immediately fell to a beguiling accessory.  The only question when looking at the flogger in front of me was, oh my, does that hurt?  She picked up the intimidating piece and asked my husband with confidence, “May I?”  He began to laugh while exuding a tough guy like vibe, and said, “Sure!”  Because I know him so well, I can tell you, he was terrified.  Without restraint, she whipped him on his back, not once, but twice.  His eyes were so big, I looked around to find the headlights this deer was caught in.  Because of the soft material of lambskin, there was no pain.  Somehow, we both maintained a calm demeanor and continued on.  In the jewelry bar around the corner, were stunning collars, bracelets and rings made by the incomparable designer, Betony Vernon.  Each piece displays an intimate sensibility   I could envision wearing one her designs with pride and admiration for the man who would give it to me.  Finally, we made our way to the back of the boutique.

In front of the bed was a very impressive chair of sorts.  It had an appealing contour made of fine leather and plated iron.  This was the kind of piece that would tilt your head in wonderment while trying to figure out what it is; but you know it’s something exceptional.  Ashly, seeing our confusion, comes to our rescue to inform us. “This is the Tally-Ho chair made by designer Mark Brazier-Jones.”   My suspicions were confirmed when she told us that it was, in fact, a spanking bench.  I’ll let your imagination take over from there.  The meticulous craftsmanship and clear expertise that was instilled in the piece established it's place in the realm of fine art.


Kiki de Montparnasse - Las Vegas
The "Tally-Ho" Chair




















Ashly set up our couples room, a feature of their Concierge Service.  A very sophisticated and sublime dressing room was tastefully drenched in rose pedals and graceful lighting.  She pulled my size in all the pieces that I showed an interest in and others that she thought we might like.  It was surreal.  The french music was streaming through as I looked around, feeling oddly apprehensive.  I was with my husband of 11 years.  How could I possibly be nervous to change my clothes in front of him?  It took just a glance at him to realize that this was, by far, one of the most monumental moments in our time together.  I took a deep breath, let it out, and began to feel the comfort that our intimate setting was designed for.  I settled on the most conservative pieces first.  All of them were surely charming, style after style.  There was nothing tawdry about my surroundings, nothing at all.  

The first sample I slipped into was the T-Front bodysuit.  From the feel of the silk to the sweet little ruffle, it was lovely.  The suit was cut out just perfectly at the hips to show the good and hide the bad.  I immediately went to the mini skorts and crop top next.  With it tying in the back, it made for a perfect fit no matter what your size.  To finish up my silk spree, I climbed into the Mini Maiden slip.  I had never been a fan of wearing a slip under a dress or skirt, but this was the perfect way to start up a new habit.

Mini Maiden Slip


Silk Crop Top and Skort
                                                                      
T-Front Bodysuit

Sheer Taped Garter
It was time for my bravery to come out of hiding. Hindrance was no longer welcome.  I approached with ruthless abandon, picked up the Sheer Taped Garter skirt and glanced my husbands way.  His look said it all.  I knew this was going to be a definite purchase!

From the La Soleil Corselette bra and boyshort to the Enchante black illusion/nude collection.  Each set’s beauty seemed to exceed the one before.  The Muse collection was astounding just the same.  Was it possible that ALL of the collections could fit?  That had never happened to me before.  Each was stunning while acquainting me with a different element of my personality.  Stunning mixture of nudes and blacks.  Stunning fabrics that fit seamlessly for every body type; simply stunning.  Whether you are full figured or very thin, you can find many extraordinary pieces at Kiki de Montparnasse to make you feel like you have your very own seamstress in Paris making, only you, the finest pieces using the most pristine fabrics.  It all felt so personal and incredibly sweet.


Enchante Black Illusion/Nude 


Corselette Bra and Boyshort

Muse Collection set with Garter Belt
























On the casual side, the Make Love tee puts a new spin on a baby tee fit made from delightful fibers that are just clingy enough.  With every wear you don’t feel as if you have to inconspicuously pull it down or stretch it out to breathe.  Another ready-to-wear staple I fell head-over-Louboutin heels for is the In-Time Garter tank made from a luxurious Supima cotton.  The tank allows for a striking look with your favorite jeans or attach a pair of garter hose for after hours.  You must always be prepared!!

I finished my marathon fitting with the 100% cashmere Luxe Bralette and Panty.  I have never worn anything more delightful and wickedly relaxing in all my existence.  If you ever get a chance; I beg of you, try on cashmere underwear.  It defined the word comfort.  

Luxe Bralette and Panty - 100% Cashmere

On our way to the register, knowing it had to end.  I looked around one last time in search for the impulse buy.  I did not want to miss anything.  The ethereal blindfolds were calling out to me.  I put the delicate lace up to my eyes and instantly felt the sacred, sublime spirituality that I could grow accustomed to.  After committing to a blindfold purchase on my next visit, I settled on a candle.  A massage candle!  Burn and enjoy the subtle aroma, drip the heated oil on your partner, painlessly, and massage.  It’s true.  It’s painless!

I have spent many years honoring my endless endeavor for fashion, art and culture.  At a very early age, I was drawn to Duran Duran’s compelling video, The Chauffeur: a future “Ode to...” blog I can’t wait to write; and I would think, I would love for a portion of my life to be like that!  That may seem very odd to some, but I mean well and love accordingly.  When I walked into Kiki’s, I knew that we were onto something that would be lifestyle changing for us.  I’ve granted myself permission, and in-turn was instructed how to approach life as though I am living every day in the fabulous shoes and garter belt of Kiki de Montparnasse.


Alicia Stirling-Julian
www.stirlingjulian.com


No comments: