Sunday, July 7, 2013

"Ode to...The Canvas" - July 7, 2013

Everything starts with a canvas.  Whether you are an artist, an entrepreneur, a writer, etc. Whatever you may be in this life, you have to start somewhere.  Your fundamental idea.

My Ode to the Canvas is the celebration of the beginning of a journey.  When a designer brings their idea to life, it can be magical.  Christian Dior has said, "Without foundation there can be no fashion".  I encourage you all to find a beautiful bra set, a gorgeous piece of lingerie or an outfit that is the epitome of the designer's heart and soul.  Maybe find the perfect vintage piece that gives you that nostalgic feeling.  An elegant dress from the 1940's or a pencil skirt from the 1950's is a reminder of an amazing moment in time.  Give yourself the experience and you will find YOUR canvas.  You will set the precedence for your day, your week, your life.

Fashion has been instrumental in my life.  I remember being six years old and obsessed with my mother's Vogue Magazine that she would bring home every month like clock work.  I understood at that age how much art was implemented in every collection.  Designers would push the boundaries with what was at one time just an idea, a musing, to be played out.  Some, with more conservative views, may not agree with the lack of limitations I had but I am very thankful for my more liberal upbringing.  For example, if I were to see a model in a sheer blouse, it did not occur to me to notice anything but the art instilled in it.  As I matured, I began to notice such things as impeccable construction and from where the inspiration for a collection derived.

I have attempted many hobbies and potential career choices.  I met, fell in love and married my husband, Scott.  We were blessed less than a year later with whom I consider to be my greatest happiness, my daughter, Alexa.  In finding my reality, I have always kept the dream of a life in fashion.  As my daughter grows, my main objective is to teach her that she has to follow her dreams.  It sounds cliche, I know, but it is such amazing advice.  She will always receive acceptance from me.  She will learn from her own experiences.  She will develop her own canvas.  I can only hope she appreciates mine.

My marriage has inspired my love of intimate apparel.  As the years count on (going on 11 now), our life together has, believe it or not, become more adventurous and incredibly sexy.  My husband and I seem to have found more security and less inhibitions with time.  Our first visit to Kiki De Montparnasse, a luxury fashion and lifestyle boutique, was the pivotal moment we realized we were not alone in our boudoir adventures. (And no, I don't mean that we were inviting others into it!)  We discovered what we found to fulfill us was not necessarily out of the ordinary.  So with that, I began to explore the intimate apparel industry.

Stirling-Julian is where this adventure begins.  My website is proving to be the missing piece of artwork in my life.  I will write my "Ode to..." blog, bringing you my ideas, my wants, my latest obsessions.  I will pay homage to all that I find inspiring.  Check out my shopping page that will be posted soon to find some of my favorite Designer, Vintage and Intimate Apparel and Accessories.  I will also be designing some original pieces.

Please enjoy this site, my words and my products.  I hope they bring you as much joy as they bring me.  Thank you for being a part of the first stroke of the brush on my canvas.

Alicia Stirling-Julian
Stirling-Julian.com


This Victoria's Secret strapless Nylon/Spandex slip makes the perfect canvas for a sheer Vintage lingerie inspired dress.


 

Double up the same slip to wear under a lace Valentino mini dress.
 



No comments: